This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Making Treasuries on Etsy

I must confess, I am as computer savy as the average 4 year old - maybe. I know that my cousin's 8 year old puts me to shame, and I've never really been concerned with that fact - until I started my ETSY store.

Suddenly, I had to deal with sites like Paypal. For someone who hates paying for anything with anything other than cash (that invisible money makes me extremely nervous - I get it from my father who still believes that five dollars is a rip off for a pair of tennis shoes), Paypal was a whole new kettle of fish.

Once I got my mind around the fact that the invisible money, though riddled with fees, was actually money and relatively secure, I then had to figure out Etsy itself. This meant taking new photos of all of my items, and then taking them again when they didn't turn out the way I wanted them to, writing and rewriting blurbs about my stuff, shipping - oh don't get me started on the shipping.

Well, eventually, I figured it all out enough to get started. I put up my items, created a banner from a bunch of my photos, sat back and waited for the money to roll in....and waited....and waited. Hmmmm....so to sell your stuff on Etsy, people first need to be able to find it. The quest for "hearts" began.

Three months later, I'm still not where I wanted to be with my Etsy store, but I have learned more about this whole Internet phenomenon because of it, enough to start this "blog," and even add pictures and pages without my brain exploding from the effort. And, somewhere along the line, I stumbled onto my newest guilty pleasure - Etsy treasuries.

For the uninitiated, Etsy treasuries are compilations of items available for sale on Etsy by Etsy members. I love looking through and making treasuries. I love finding something interesting and then pairing it with other items that complement it. I adore seeing what other artists are making - and though no one else may feel this way, every time an item of mine ends up in a treasury, I feel rewarded....so I love to "reward" my favorite items in this manner too.

Though treasuries may not lead to my shop being well known, they give me an opportunity to browse and be a little bit creative - in a world of technology that is surely already leaving me once again in the dust, I can wallow in beautiful things, gain inspiration, and share....isn't that what art is all about?

My newest tree treasury
An Edgar Allen Poe inspired treasury

No comments:

Post a Comment