This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Monday, August 1, 2011

The evolution of a silk tie and matching pocket square

setting up to work on silk pocket squares
 My father gave me this stretcher frame. I'm not quite sure what this initially was (maybe part of a picture frame), but it turned out to be the Perfect size for dying 11 x 11 pocket squares!

I had already mixed my dye washes for this particular piece since I was painting this pocket square to match an already painted silk tie. I used kelly green and water to create the original washes, added yellow, brown, and blue accordingly to reach a variety of shades and tones of green to be used in the tie and pocket square.
Jaidra painting silk


 Then, I stretched the silk on the frame using tacks, rubber bands, and tiny safety pins. I use a spray bottle to keep my silk slightly damp but not sopping wet.

Then, I start to paint. Using all of the dye washes that I've mixed and a variety of brush sizes, I paint the abstract patterns that I love so much directly onto the silk, taking extra care on the rolled edges to make sure that the dye soaks through the entire silk and the thread that keeps the hem rolled.
 I've taken to dying silks in my living room while music plays on the stereo in the background....that way when I need a break, I can get up and dance for a song or two and then get right back to it!
Finished Hand Painted Silk Pocket Squares
 As always, after painting the piece, I wrapped it in newsprint and steamed for 90 minutes, washed it in cold water to remove excess dye and finished by ironing on a silk setting. I'm very pleased with the final result and the matching tie.

Very soon, these pieces will be available for sale at Artizan gallery in Columbia, SC! I'm very pleased to be an exhibiting artist here and just can't wait to see my work in a real art gallery!
Silk Ties

1 comment:

  1. Hi admin,
    I read your blog, its really awesome,
    This is an informative guide to men's tailor-made shirts. A basic understanding is given about fabric, fits, sleeves, collars, yoke, buttoning, pleats, pockets, and type of tails.
    see more details: knitted tie

    your regards
    Shopno Kumari

    ReplyDelete