This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bellydancers in Greenville, SC and Henna for Friday

In preparation for Friday's show at Karma in Greenville, SC, members of Discordia Arts, Brandy and Emily and I all decided to get henna done. I chose to do the henna 4 days prior to the show since henna gets darker during the 48 hours after application and usually doesn't begin to fade until 7 to 10 days. This way, I can ensure that the designs will be at their darkest for our performance on Friday.

I worked on Emily's piece first, drawing inspiration from her earrings to create a free hand symmetrical back piece for her.

The piece on Emily's back reminded me of a peacock's tail feathers and Brandy loves peacocks, so those two factors lead to the peacock back piece that I did for Brandy. She played the harmonium throughout the entire application but managed to stay still, and the piece turned out beautiful.


My piece took a slightly different slant. Since I can not do henna on my own back, I chose to do a floral design on my left hand and up my left arm almost to the elbow. As aftercare, we left the henna paste on as long as possible and then scraped the paste off. I even slept in mine, with a sock over my hand, and I'm looking forward to watching it darken over the next few days.

To see the final product, come check us out on Friday. Doors open at 8: music and dancing begins at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment