This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Finding Inspiration in the Storm

Storm Goddess on Silk
I've been doing a lot of figure work lately, and had begun moving towards more representational work as opposed to the very abstract pieces that I started with. This one is a move back towards my abstract pieces, drawing on inspiration from nature and movement - she's a storm goddess, whether conjured up by a storm or creating the wind, I will leave it to the viewer to decide. I used 7 different washes of blue for the figure and a range of greys, greens, browns and water to paint the background. The leaves blowing by introduce just a hint of color. I'm in a tumultuous place spiritually right now, and the intense weather that so many of us have been seeing recently really lent the inspiration for this piece. I can't wait to steam set and iron this one to see how she turns out.

2 comments:

  1. HEllo!

    Will you show us when it is finish?
    Have you ever done scarfs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a picture once it's steam set. I do lots of scarves - mostly shibori and brush painted silk, but some with serti technique paintings. I had a series that I was really proud of that were brush painted with fine line detail, but I've sold all but two of those.
    Here is a link to my facebook fan page photos - I have some pictures of scarves here http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=182993633953

    ReplyDelete