This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Enchanted Chalice Renaissance Faire - A Dancer's View

Sword Dance
 I have the strangest sunburn. Luckily, I took my parasol with me, but it didn't keep me from burning in an odd pattern around my bodice, necklace, and turkish vest. The sunburn is totally worth it though. Yesterday was amazing!

I am having a great time!
We arrived at the Faire at noon and were pleasantly surprised at the size and scope of the event. For a small Renaissance Faire located at a church in Greenville, SC...it was wonderful. Two stages were set up, along with wide variety of vendors, events, games, and demonstrations.

 My first performance was as a guest of the Daughters of Ishtar at 12:30. I have been dancing for almost ten years now (and loving every second of it), but I've only recently begun to consider myself a professional performer - and events like this are what made me realize that I am becoming what I have long aspire to be.

Greenville ATS Dancers
I didn't have a plan - other than dance the best that I could and plop a sword on my head. I was thrilled that I hadn't tried to choreograph anything because there's no way that it would have worked.

 The "stage" was a grassy hillside with a bamboo mat laid on the grass. I was blessed to have a wonderful musician as my accompaniment, and a spectacular audience topped it all off.

I even managed a little floorwork on the hillside!

Jaidra with Veil
Belly Dancers
I was followed by the lovely Greenville ATS dancers who absolutely rocked it out. I love watching these ladies dance - grace and skill topped with a joy that is palpable. The crowd loved them, as they should.

We topped it off with a free for all belly dance jam session. I broke out my veil and played, and a good time was had by all.

 We spent a little time recuperating in the shade before the 1 pm processional march following the king and queen around the faire grounds.
All Hail the King and Queen

The grounds were absolutely lovely. Our musician spent a little time with us before taking off to do SCA reenactments in the baking sun - hats off to those guys!

We Love a Parade
 The bellydancers had a wonderful time in the processional. Brandy and I spent the majority of the time coming up with new and exciting ways to dance and walk at the same time.

 After the parade, we had a little time to wander around the faire grounds and check out the miriad vendors and activities. I was especially impressed with the phase of the moon jewelry and the picture cutouts. Aren't we adorable as a princess and knight!

We took a mid day break from the Faire to eat and rest in the shade before I had to be back on stage with Thee Inner Cirkus.

Add caption
I opened Thee Inner Cirkus' set with a fire fan performance at the chalice stage. This stage was more stage like, and more comfortable for fire dance. I didn't have to worry about falling down a hill - just setting the backdrop on fire (just kidding - I had a great fire safety guy ready to put out the set or me if a problem presented itself, and luckily he didn't have a job to do).

I unfortunately didn't get photos of the other cirkus folks, but they were Phenomenal! Andy Greenman and Mel debuted their acrobalance act, which was stunning. Robin rocked out the fire hoop, Leila and Andy were extremely impressive with contact fire and fire breathing.

Jaidra with Fire Fans
 Crickett was as ever, a consummate performer on a balance board with fire devil sticks - super cool! Kenny Phoenix, whom I just got to meet, is a wonderful contact juggler and awed the crowd. I made a second appearance with the veil....it was a rousing show and a wonderful time!
Jaidra with Fire Fans

Jaidra with Veil
Sunburned and exhausted, I left the Faire richer in friends and experience and thrilled to have gotten the chance to participate in the inaugural event of what I am sure will become an upstate staple!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. We enjoyed having you. The Faire will be held again this year - near the end of September - if you want to come again.

    ReplyDelete