This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Freedom Weekend Aloft Artists' Showcase

Roberto Cortez
The decision to hold an artists showcase at Freedom Weekend Aloft was apparently a last minute one, but they couldn't have found a more eclectic and fabulous group of people to showcase!

Nichole Madonna
When I arrived at the venue for the pre-set up meeting, I immediately met Roberto Cortez and his wife (some of my new favorite people - by the way). Transplanted to Greenville from California, they are an amazing couple. Roberto's art work is full of color and life, and his abstract paintings really draw the eye. I am still debating between five or six pieces to try and figure out which is my favorite.

We set up ahead of time, on Thursday, and I met my booth neighbor, Nichole Madonna (no relation to Madonna Madonna - just in case you were concerned - as some have been). Another transplant to the area (this time from Pennsylvania), Nichole does really fascinating pieces that have an organic feel to them. I've enjoyed chatting with Nichole and her fella throughout the course of the weekend.
Lexique Studios

When I arrived Saturday for the first day of the showcase, I was early - I'm always early, but it's better than always being late! I met Stephanie, the force behind Lexique Studios, a jeweler and another kindred and kind soul.

Once we got started, I met my other booth neighbor, Mel Rivera. Mel is possibly one of the best pencil portrait artists that I have had the pleasure of meeting, and he's a joy to share space with - though he lost his cellphone on day one and has had all kind of problems trying to access the WiFi, Mel has been upbeat and pleasant the entire time, and people love his drawings!
Mel Rivera

Stephanie of Steph-n-Annie and Elizabeth of Elizabeth studios are sharing a booth across from us where they display Stephanie's whimsical mosaic work and Elizabeth's gorgeous photography. Stephanie and Elizabeth are tons of fun to chat with, and I really wish I had lots of money so that I could buy pieces from them both! Behind them, Dan Taylor spent the past two days both selling and making stained glass. His leaf inspired pieces are absolutely stunning.
Stephanie and Elizabeth

Rounding out the art, Laura Nance reminds me of the mother that loves everyone. Her watercolors reflect a soul that is full of joy and kindness. She paints flowers, and they are amazing! Bossy Mossy Beads have a great display right by the front door, and Jocelyn Davis' paintings make me want to go run around in the mountains somewhere until I find a beautiful view and then sit...and enjoy.

 hot air balloons and me
Around 7 pm, someone noticed that all of the hot air balloons were taking off, and we ran outside to see them floating away. It was a beautiful sight. I rounded out the day watching the Wailers play some of my favorite reggae tunes while the sun set over the trees.

It's been an incredible two days, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment