This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Dancer Series Silk Paintings: CanCan

CanCan Dancer Silk Painting
I personally find it fascinating that when I sat down to decide which dance styles to represent in my new silk paintings series, I went straight to the dance styles that in their time were risque - flapper, burlesque, cancan, disco, bellydance, etc.

The third piece in the series is the CanCan dancer. I spent a good bit of time looking at pictures on the internet for my inspiration in this piece. I did what I normally do, which is take bits and pieces from different photographs as my inspiration, sketch out an outline, and then free hand the resist lines on the silk.

This piece turned out bright and bubbly, just as I planned. Now I have a few days of material imposed rest while I wait for my order of silks to get here...and then I'll get to work on my disco dancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment