This life we live...it's strange, painful at times, but oh so beautiful.

I am a fusion dance artist and teacher, a fire dancer, and a visual artist. I draw inspiration from nature, music, and the amazing people that come into my life. I am also a conservationist who makes jewelry and found object multimedia craft type art in my spare time (when I'm not reading, writing, or lighting things on fire and dancing around with them). I love to dance barefoot on the beach, watch the stars move inexorably across the heavens, and to laugh with the people that I love. I am currently based in Greenville SC, working with Discordia Arts to provide unique and exciting entertainment to the Upstate.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hanging silk

How on earth do you hang a silk painting without damaging the silk? Up until NOW, I have painted silk and sold silk, and left it up to the buyer as to how they would like to display the silk.

Some of my paintings have been mounted on acid free backing, matted, and framed. Other pieces have been wrapped around dowels and hung free on the wall, still others are worn as is or pressed between pieces of glass on tables. Now, though, my very first solo art show is approaching, and I have no clue how I'm going to hang 16 silk paintings!

I am super excited though!

Here's what I think is going to happen. I think that I'm going to buy a massive amount of pine molding from the hardware store, glue felt to the back side of each piece, sandwich the tops of the silks between two pieces, tie the ends together, and hope. The difficulty is that I want the silks to be free hanging and I don't want to damage the silks by glueing, taping, sewing, or otherwise permanently altering them in any way. I also want to be able to remove the silks from the fixtures.

The show starts Tuesday. Any suggestions are welcome, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment